Security Operatives Stops Staff, Press, Others From Entering National Assembly

Members of staff of the National Assembly, members of the press and other people have been asked to return to their houses by security operatives manning the gates of the National Assembly.

Many people got to the National Assembly as early as 6: am but even lawmakers and top management staff of the National Assembly were also turned back.

The police operatives at the gate popularly referred to as SGF gate, which many people turned to after they were blocked from the main gate, told people gathered that the inauguration has been called off.

According to them, the order to shut down the assembly came from the FCT commissioner.

 Fully armed security operatives made up of Policemen, men of Department of State Services, (DSS) and Armed squad of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps have barricaded the entrance into the National Assembly preventing people from going into the complex.

Although, accreditation tags had been issued to anyone considered as having essential service to render within the complex to ease access today, the tags were disregarded as the security men barred anyone from going past the National Arcade road towards the NASS first gate usually called “Mopol gate”.

Crew of television stations as well as other media houses who had arrived to cover the event live were also prevented from entering the complex.

All National Assembly staff who were issued the special tag for today’s event aside from the National Assembly identification tags could not also gain access.

People in their hundreds are currently sitting on the main road leading to the complex to ease the pressure of continuously standing for hours.

None of the leaders of the security team volunteered information on why the complex was shut down.

Family members and supporters of the federal legislators who had thronged the NASS to felicitate with their relations as they take oath of office and allegiance today are left standing or sitting on the tarmac.

Traffick control at the intersection between the Federal Secretariat and the NASS complex was at its worst with the road completely blocked.

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment


Post a Comment